A proposed 51-room Beverley retirement complex would harm a conservation area and may be inaccessible to emergency services, advisers heard.
The Eastern District Council’s Eastern Region Planning Subcommittee postponed plans for the resort, off Beverley’s Langholm Close, in a meeting on Monday, July 19.
Read more: One of the last 24-hour parking lots in Hull to close at night due to antisocial behavior
Andrew Mangham, agent for candidates McCarthy and Stone, told councilors the development would provide more housing for elderly residents, freeing up homes in the city.
But resident and opponent Christopher Kendall told the committee the size of the complex would hurt the surrounding area of North Bar Without Conservation Area, which is home to Beverley Westwood and historic buildings.
To subscribe to the Hull Live newsletter, Click here.
Cllr Linda Johnson, whose St Marys neighborhood covers the site, said ambulances had previously been unable to descend to Langholm near the now abandoned Westwood Park residential house. The advisers are now ready to visit the site before the plans come back to the committee.
Plans for the new complex indicated that it would include 29 one and 22 two-bedroom apartments in a new building on a site of approximately 0.67 hectares.
They also said they would provide apartments for the elderly to live independently with on-site support and create 17 new jobs.
The plans were recommended for approval subject to further discussion with the developers, with 22 objections and six supporting comments filed.
Find planning apps near you
Mr Mangham told councilors the complex would allow elderly residents to “shrink and get the right size.”
The agent said: “As the population grows and ages, it is essential that the link between housing, health and social care be recognized.
“We have endeavored to address the impact of the development in terms of design and on nearby heritage assets.
Watch to learn more about the planning system:
“The program provides an opportunity to regenerate a vacant brownfield site that has been subject to vandalism and anti-social behavior.
“The clients of my clients are on average 83 years old, this will give them a new lease of life, allow them to make new friends and have new adventures.”
Mr Kendall told councilors residents accepted the need for more senior housing, but objected to the scale of the proposed building.
The objector said: “Residents believe this would dominate the surrounding area, any benefits would be outweighed by the damage.
“By reducing its size and the number of residential units, its impact would be more acceptable.”
Cllr Johnson said the number of objections from residents, as well as Beverley City Council and local civic society, showed the “depth of sentiment” towards the plans.
The audience member said, “This will be in your face and jump over you, the building has to be the correct size and design.
“Langholm Close is not large enough for the amount of traffic from the people who work or visit it.
“There is a pinch point where two cars cannot pass each other and the ambulances could not access the previous house.”
Committee member Cllr Denis Healy, also from the St Marys neighborhood, said residents agreed the vacant ‘horror’ building should be redeveloped.
But he added that the complex would be “monolithic” in its current form.
Cllr Healy said: “There is a great amount of Georgian and Victorian buildings in the conservation area and this is the home of our beloved Beverley Westwood.
“We know from the plans that there will be around 118 people there, including staff, and that’s before we count the visitors.
“There could be 50 to 60 vehicles in the area at any one time.”